P. 224Q Policy for use of Cell Phones, Computing Devices, and Portable Music and Entertainment Systems on School Property
Adopted by School Leadership Team: February 27, 2015
As per the Chancellor’s Regulation A-413 students are permitted to bring the following items to school as of March 2nd 2015. 1) cell phones; 2) laptops, tablets, and other similar computing devices; and 3) portable music and entertainment systems, such as iPods, MP3 players, PSP, and Nintendo DS. However, the school has the ability to set their own policy with guidelines from Regulation A-413 on using these devices in school.
If you choose to send your child to school with an electronic device please review and sign the attached contract with your child so that he/she is clear on the expectations set forth in the P224 Cellphone, Computing Devices and Entertainment Policy adopted from Chancellor’s Regulation A-413
NO CELLPHONE OR ELECTRONIC DEVICE IS ALLOWED IN SCHOOL WITHOUT A SIGNED CONTRACT.
A. Cell phones
During the school day:
- Cell phones may not be turned on or used while on school property.
- Cell phones may not be turned on or used during instructional time.
B. Computing Devices
- Computing devices may not be turned on or used while on school property. They can be used only if and as indicated on a student’s I.E.P.
C. Portable music and entertainment systems may be used as set forth below
During the school day:
- Portable music devices and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used while on school property.
D. Confiscation and return of electronic items for violation of the rules above
- First offense: confiscation of item and return at end of school day. Letter to parent informing them of violation of the rule and consequence if it occurs again
- Second offense: confiscation of item and return to parent following in school parent conference
- Third offense: confiscation of item, item returned to parent and revocation of privilege to bring item to school
- If student refuses to hand over a device as set forth above parent must come to school the next day with the student for a meeting. Student may be subject to disciplinary action as set forth in The DOE’s Discipline Code such as In- School or Principal Suspension
E. Discipline for violation of the rules below
The use of cell phones, computing devices and portable music and entertainment systems during any of the following instances will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the DOE’s Discipline Code.
- Cell Phone or Computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination, except where such use has been explicitly authorized by the school or is contained in an Individualized Education Program or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- Cell phones, computing devices and portable music and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and portable music and entertainment systems may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms
- Violation of DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“ISUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.
F. P224 is not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged device.
P224 Site Phone Numbers
Click HERE to download the Cell Phone Contract...